Quillian P20 Sound Bites

Quillian P20 Sound Bites

What do you think? Does this need any words?

Posted on June 11, 2010 at 12:02 am in Quillian and tagged with , , , , , , . Follow responses to this post with the comments feed. You can leave a comment or trackback from your own site.

1. Kristin Darken says:

No words needed. :)

I wonder about sounds though, but I can’t tell if its because you titled it “Sound Bites” … if it’s my own inclination as a sound engineer… if I miss the old Batman style *pow* bubbles… or if it really needs them. A nice icky slurp for panel 2… a hearty Phttthhhhiiiih for panel 3… and a resounding Thwuck for panel 4… might work. :)

2. MissMercurial says:

If it’s not designed with it in mind/intentionally, I don’t think sfx have a place in there. That’s my general philosophy. The “splort” in panel three would not be amiss, however; it’s the only panel I can really see allowing for the sfx.

…Oh god, I just realized I sound like I’m parroting my arch studio professors. SAVE ME.

Actually, I just didn’t write a script for this page, simply describing the action as 3 to five panels. Daniel did the art and I decided that it told the story PERFECTLY without any words. No words seemed to mean no SFX, too. While he was drawing we did discuss a few things that could be said or SFX but I made the decision not to do anything. :)

Interesting. So we see some of Q’s powers here. Inky demonstrates acid breath, while Q counters with retaliatory shoulder spines (that’s a new one on me) and her cutting tail. This, in addition to more evasive skills such as flying, occasional invisibility, and ink spits. Seems like a good mix so far.

I just hope Q doesn’t become too much more powerful than this. One of the things I liked and really caught my eye about this webcomic is her seeming vulnerability and lack of angst. These qualities do what her more offensive powers cannot: make her sympathetic to the reader. I don’t know what sort of power creep will occur but things are at a good level so far.

Eagerly looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for the comments. You missed mentioning being able to kick like a mule. LOL.

I have got to go over to your site and do some reading on your comic so I can return the favor. :)

So far, Q has used only the powers we came up with for her on the day we invented her. She does have one more major power and some unmentioned minor abilities that aren’t all useful in a fight, though. Oh, the ink and the acid are the same thing really, Inkypus can just adjust the potency. If this were in color you would see that his ink-acid is a brilliant blue. We’ll get to coloring these someday, I hope.

But the fight isn’t over yet, Ptarro is down but not out — and he hasn’t used all of his powers yet, either. :)

• Chernobog says:

Yes, you’re right. She does kick something fierce. Mea culpa.

Ahh, you don’t have to read mine, it’s nothing pretty like Quillian is. I’m genuinely here out of enjoyment of this work.

I’m pleased to see it sounds like you’ve got a good handle of the power levels. It’s a concern of mine in a lot of modern fiction when the main character becomes too strong and then what was endearing about them has mutated into an action flick.

I like the b/w, actually! It might be nice to see the occasional splash page in color, but I enjoy the monotones. They’re crisp.

I didn’t realize the ink and acid were one and the same. Huh! Hm. Does that use her energy or his own? I imagine there might be a limit to its usage.

Your strip looks interesting on its own merits.

Power levels are an old bugaboo of mine, too. If we run Quillian long enough, I expect to ramp up her power levels slowly but only a bit for dramatic tension. She has at least one power that she does not know about, but again, it isn’t really useful in a fight. Another power she does not realize she has will become evident in this story.

Yeah, I like the b/w, too. But Daniel and I are just visual enough that we do supply colors in our minds. And there is a limit to the ink-acid but a generous one. There are two limits actually, frequency and total usage. Inkypus’s power pool is separate from Q’s for most purposes but they can borrow from each other. The other two tails are also semi-independent entities. :) With names which we may not get to find out in this story. :)

I really like the lack of sound effects. I think the panels speak loud and clear. The sound effect bubbles would cover up some of the art and hurt more than help in my opinion.

I think Q’s powers are balanced nicely for the story. She’s not all the powerful and that gives her a good reason for flight rather than fight. It wouldn’t be much of a story if she could disintegrate or quick fry Ptarro.

The story is very young so I’d expect a few more powers to be revealed as it progresses. I’m still not sure about the invisibility working but I’d say that her shapeshifting is a power. Couldn’t she use that to hide from Ptarro?

I like Q’s pointy tail getting in on the action. Until I see the actual name for it, I’m going to name it d’Artagnan.

The fluffy tail seems to be cowering. I don’t imagine it could do much more than tickle, and for that reason, I’m going to give it the name, Ticklepus, for the time being.

Thanks for another great page, you two! :)

I like your names. :)

Did you know that lions have a horny growth like a fingernail under the hairy fluff on the end of their tails? That’s why we called the third tail Leona originally. And the pointy one was called Spade. But we gave them different names later. Doesn’t look like I’m going to be able to work those names into a script soon so maybe I ought to give them here in the comments before things get confused.

Okay, so. The spade-ended tail is named Tom Stabbo because he is made of metal and is pointy. He’s a steely blue-gray in color.
      The lion-like tail is tawny gold and is named Harrienda. In continuity, Inkypus thought of these names, just as Quillian named him. Note that HE calls Q, Hornipuss. :)

I think I will adopt Ticklepuss as Harrienda’s second name, thanks. Harrienda Ticklepuss is so CUTE! :)

Inkypus’s shaft is green and his head is purple with green streaks. Inkypus has a first name, BTW. It’s Richard. :)

Harrienda Ticklepuss is cute. Yesh. :)

I wonder if the three tails will break away for their own comic someday. Heh.

Thanks for telling us the names and colors of the tails. It helps me visualize them better. Inkypus was referred to as an eggplant so I wondered if he was purple colored.

5. Xavier Price says:

“Squawk” *SPIT* *Splort* *Splash* *Sizzle* “GRRR”

That about covers it.

6. Wren says:

i’m thinking…

“slurrrrp” -licking-

“pfffftts” -spitting-

and

“psssssshhhhh” -what I’m guessing is acid in the other demon’s face as it burns-

7. comichero says:

wooo go Q kick some ass but you need a ssssssshukk sound for the shoulder spike as a sound effect =P excellant work joyce

8. UncleRice says:

I see three possibilities:

1: The spit is so acidic, it has a negative PH value.

2: The spit is cursed with death and poison.

3: 1+2